June 28th, 2010
‘Baller Soap Operas: Landon Donovan, USA
Just a day after his team was dismissed by Ghana from the World Cup, American Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated has reported that a British tabloid had plans to feature a rather juicy story. Apparently a woman is claiming to be pregnant with Donovan’s child. Landy has exclusively addressed said “imminent” story by saying he would assume responsibility if the child were his, but did not divulge any other details.
Let’s rewind a few hours previous, when Donovan was blowing kisses to his wife, Bianca Kajlich.
(So what if they have been legally separated for a year now? Why would LD’s lovechild be that saucy of a story?) (And how could that be bigger news that his use of propecia?)
Perhaps, it’s a big story because, Kajlich and Donovan were working on saving their marriage. How, then, did the former L.A. Galaxy captain get to this point?
-Landon Donovan and Bianca Kajlich dated on and off for a few years, including the time they spent as a couple while he was playing for German side Bayern Leverkusen. That is, until March 2005, when Donovan asked out of his lucrative long-term contract. Despite heavy criticism back home, Donovan later said in an interview with USA Today that he returned home because his missed his family, friends and his girlfriend.
- On 31 December 2006, L & B got hitched in Santa Barbara, CA. The bride was outfitted by Monique Lhuillier while the groom, 24 at the time, wore a custom-made Ted Baker tuxedo. The post-NYE party included In-N-Out Burgers and a karaoke machine.
- Two years passed without much fanfare. Kajlich continued to star in the CBS show “Rules of Engagement” while Donovan began playing alongside David Beckham after he penned his MLS contract in 2007.
- During 2009, Landon’s personal and professional lives were less than stellar, to say the least.
- Before the ’09 MLS season began, Donovan found himself playing in the Bundesliga again, this time with Bayern Munich. At the end of his stint, Munich declined a contract extension.
- July ’09: a rep for Bianca and Landon announced their “amicable” split. Only two years into their marital bliss together, the statement didn’t offer up any explanation – although Donovan’s time spent at European clubs during the MLS off-season each year supposedly didn’t help their cause.
- Less than a few days later, Landon (who may/may not be his twin Tristan… anyone?) took an unidentified date to ESPN’s ESPY awards. The duo happily posed for cameras along their red carpet walk before he and some of his teammates accepted the “Best Upset” award for defeating Spain in that summer’s CONCACAF tournament. (Photo via Newscomm)
- December ’09: six month later and Donovan found himself on loan again. This time, he headed for the north of England to play for Everton FC.
- After the Galaxy refused Everton’s contract extension offer, LD rejoined his teammates in Los Angeles. Just three months into the 2010 MLS schedule, the league took a mid-season pause as Donovan and his US Men’s National teammates set off for South Africa.
- By now, we’ve all read about or seen first hand the USMNT at the World Cup. Following the win over Algeria, speculation mounted about a reconciliation after Donovan publicly thanked his estranged wife in a post-match interview. (He ended his interview by saying, “Hi Bianca!” and blowing a kiss.)
- Even though he spoke time and time again about his marriage not being over, next month will mark a year that the couple has been legally separated but not divorced.
- We’re not so confident that Bianca will want to take her estranged hubby and his British lovechild back. Plus, if his overseas playing spelled trouble at the outset of their marriage, BK might not be happy to learn that Manchester City are showing interest in the US playmaker.
- Whatever the outcome or gossip may be, we’ll be sure to keep our Kickettes updated as things happen.