May 18th, 2010
‘Baller Soap Operas: Ricardo Quaresma and Catia Costa
Once the subject of a Would You? reader debate, Ricky dropped off our radar shortly afterwards. But now that transfer gossip abounds of a possible move from Inter Milan to Turkish side Besiktas, the potential hook-up with Matteo Ferrari has convinced us to sorta-care.
Know this: Quaresma, the man who’s never met a logo he didn’t love, has surreptitiously dumped his supposed long-term girlfriend weeks after she birthed his baby. Apparently, he’s left her – without money, no less – and is denying paternity of the daughter he once claimed as his.
What on earth happened?
Let’s just say it went something like a really smashing epi of EastEnders. We’re here to recap it for the DVR-less few among you.
- As recent as last November, Quaresma, 26, and his 24-year-old girlfriend, Catia Costa, were jumping for double joy at the thought of an upcoming stork delivery and their impending nuptials. While the beginning of their relationship was said to be “unstable”, Quaresma wanted to “man up” and make himself a blingtastically acessorized family.
- Before getting knocked up and sharing the news with the press, the couple flew under the radar for nearly two years time – hence, why pics of the pair are limited.
- At four months pregnant, Costa quit her shoe salesgirl job at the behest of Quaresma. In this instance, we’re with him on this call.
- Her reward for putting her feet up? A luxury shopping trip at Louis Vuitton before Christmas. As it should be. We ain’t down with those hats, though.
- Even though the distance between Lisbon and Milan kept the couple apart during the winter time, they spent their free time sifting through baby names before finally landing on that lucky one.
- Had we known what was going on behind these scenes, we would’ve donated our finest pair of cubic zirconiums to join in on the chavtastic fun.
This is where the time-line gets tricky, and we get tired of typing “Quaresma”. Pardon our surname short-hand and intermittent coffee breaks.
- April 14th: Costa gives birth to a baby girl, Ariana at the Hospital da Luz in Lisbon.
- Reports surface that this love story was never meant to be, since Q was only informed of his impending daddyhood when he tried breaking up with Costa in late 2009. News of the birth was allegedly shared with Ricardo via text.
- Fast forward seven days to April 21st and a secret romance between Quaresma and “fashion designer” Luana Belletti is revealed.
- Does the name ring a bell? It should. Belletti is the sister of Chelsea’s Juliano and one part of football’s most Twitterific family. She was previously connected to Quaresma’s Portuguese national teammate Cristiano Ronaldo.
- April 24th. In a sudden twist of events, Q publicly declared that he would only assume parental responsibilities of Ariana pending the results of a court-mandated paternity test. Someone help us with the Portuguese translation of “tacky”?
(- ‘Member those sarcastic “fashion designer” quotes three lines up? In the same length of time it took Q to deny his child, L. Belletti’s budding career prospects were reduced from fabric fairytale to “creating a clothing brand“. Woop. Woop.)
- Back to the story. Rumours swirl that Q’s baby test request was due to someone whispering in his ear about Catia’s infidelity while he was away in Milan.
- As both Catia and Ricardo anxiously await their DNA test results, Catia has spoken at length about her postpartum depression, and how tough life is now that she’s a single mother living far away from the lap of luxury. She also denied ever being unfaithful to the person she describes as “the father of my child”.
In conclusion: relationships suck.