With the last lingering players returning from their well-deserved summer breaks, this Monday’s gossip cheat sheet is heavier on the match results than normal. Never fear, though, we come bearing light blue bulge to make amends.
- Two former Real Madrid comrades, Christoph Metzelder and Raul, celebrated their new team’s (Schalke) win over Hamburg SV and another old teammate, Ruud van Nistelrooy, in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. [AP Photo/Martin Meissner].
- Fernando Torres + daughter Nora + broke down Range Rover = sadface. [Images: Facebook.com].
- Ligue 1 side, Marseille, captured the first (thankless) trophy of the 2010 – 2011 season.
- Inter Milan trained with their base layers on before traveling from NYC to Philly in style-lacking fashion. The same could not be said about Barcelona’s pre-season training accommodations.
- Manchester United’s Anderson survived a fireball car crash. WTF? Glad he’s okay.
Thierry Henry tries on his new uniform. Images: Getty Images via mlssoccer.com, AP Photos via Daylife, Getty Images via Zimbio
‘Ladies, the market is now open for shopping.’
When this kind of announcement is heard in the Kickette office, it’s generally an excuse for a no-holds-barred scramble for the door, a sight which the few who have seen it (and survived) have described as similar in appearance to a lion-meets-bear pit.
In the case of the football transfer window though, we take a rather more cautious view. You see, we worry about our boys. The all-consuming horror of seeing them uprooted from their safe, warm, friendly clubs and hurled into a frightening new arena where they don’t know anyone and their lunch money is just asking to be stolen is distressing.
We’ve taken a moment to examine a few of the confirmed movers and shakers in the transfer market in order to identify their capacity for survival in their new playgrounds. Anyone up for a game of kiss chase?
Congratulations to German NT captain (for now, anyway), and Bayern Munich player Phillip Lahm!
He married his girlfriend Claudia today, in a two-part ceremony near Munich. Apparently, the tears were flowing during the civil ceremony, but it’s not clear whether they were from the bride, groom or Lahmy fangirls across Germany and beyond.
Claudia, as you may well know, used to work for Mercedes. That’s all we’ve got right now. That’s the extent of our research skills today, Kickettes. However, we are curious to know what our readers think of the new Mrs. Lahm’s dress?
PS: Philipp just pocketed €360,000 as his World Cup bonus. Now that’s some serious celebrating mon-ayz.
Inopportune moment caught on film via Getty Images.
Well, this certainly has us scratching our heads.
Sarah Brandner, longtime girlfriend of Bastian Schweinsteiger and recent body paint model, was seen drunk cuddling/harassing his Bayern Munich teammate Holger Badstuber at their club’s Champions League banquet.
Note: that is Schweini passing them by in the background, but we’re sure it’s nothing. And we’re positive he totally understood the open-bar, Patron-on-the-rocks circumstances.
Hey, we’ve all been there, sister.