He came, he scored, they went bonkers. Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images Europe.
Rarely relevant, factually incorrect but always pretty.
Welcome to Monday at Kickette, peeps!
It’s no secret that Stephen Ireland and the mainstream media are not bezzie mates. After all, his chavtastic cars and homes have been well documented and ruthlessly mocked, but he’s perhaps most well known for flagrantly fabricating the deaths of his relatives – plural – just to avoid being collared on a trip with the national team.
Little did we know, though, that he and the Irish FA/Giovani Trapattoni/etc made amends over an extra frothy cappucino and some choco-chip biscotti. At least, that’s what Jessica Lawlor would like us to imagine.
During Monday’s Group C games, we were:
- Pleased that Niko Kranjcar found his razor in time;
- Curious about Fernando Torres’s possible use of bronzer in the first half; and
- Wondering why Kevin Doyle wore his kit instead of his Everyman towel (surely it would’ve been worth the last ditch effort?).
Once things were all said and done, we were:
- Delighted to see how Ireland and Croatia “reacted” to their losses; and
- Shocked at the lack of celebratory girlish face tickles exchanged after Italy advanced into the tournament’s next round (although there was that Balotelli face gag by Bonucci that folks are buzzing about).
What’s your take on all the results?
Really – are you interested in this recap at all?
We thought we were, but we’d rather gaze at Iker than write another 10,000 entries on the Beckhams.
Compared to their English counterparts, the Irish WAGs tend to keep a low profile. With Euro 2012 being The Green Army’s first international tournament in ten years, we’re happy they’re well represented. We’re also happy they’re posting photos of their outfits on Twitter.