Portugal. The country that has given us pastéis de Belém (Ed Note: in case it wasn’t obvious, we rarely skip dessert) also gifted us with Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo. During the 2006 World Cup Portugal secured fourth place; this year they have managed to land in the Group of Death, facing Brazil, North Korea and Côte d’Ivoire respectively.
While we are eager to see how Portugal will fare out this time around let’s move on to more important stuff – which (flexible) Portuguese players are most deserving of your attention:
Image : Getty Images Europe via Zimbio.
- Having got a touch cross about the media following his boys on safari yesterday, England NT coach Fabio Capello lost his rag this morning as well, after he caught photographers trying to take pictures inside the training complex. Scary man or befuddled pensioner? You decide.
- Dani Guiza’s baby mama drama is the gossip gift that keeps on giving. The latest? He received a court ruling to kick his ex, Nuria, out of the home they once shared. The deed’s in his name, he’s pulling rank, and Nuria is calling poverty foul since she and her son are supposedly now stuck in the streets.
- A large beard and Men Without Hats 1982 hit ‘Safety Dance’ in one advert? Whatever this guy’s selling, we’re buying!
- A big congratulations to John O’Shea who tied the knot this week. We’re so glad he’s make something positive out of this.
- And big commiseration’s to Portugal’s Nani, who has fallen victim to the WC injury curse. Please, make it stop, someone!
- Earlier today we tweeted a random but essential photo of a micro pig wearing wellies. We sincerely hope you saw it.
- Danielle Lloyd drops a subtle hint regarding financial propriety to her fellow WAG’s. Don’t sit on the fence, Dani!
- Widow’s peak weirdo to uber hottie David Villa deftly demonstrates the impact that a little hairgel (and a soul patch) can have.
- And for all you ladies missing Nandina’s goldie locks, here’s a last glimpse. Altogether now… ahhhhh.
And if all that still isn’t enough to sate you, please browse Metro Sport UK’s list of top World Cup blogs, including our very own. Wahey!
Images via Getty Images Europe/AP Photos.
Oh, looky! It’s Real Madrid’s most bromantic buddies. Do tell, which World Cup physio training team are you on: Brazil or Portugal?
If you’re not keen on Ronaldo’s fatally fit levels of melanoma, may we suggest shielding your saintly skin with God’s disciple, Kaká.
- We spent some time comparing and contrasting PUMA’s “Journey of Football” with Nike’s “Write The Future” viral. Which do you prefer? Spotted on Unprofessional Foul.
- Just so we’re clear, his name is Luka Modric and he can’t pose for sh*te.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s agent ain’t having afternoon tea with Pep Guardiola anytime soon. He said the Barcelona head coach should “go to a mental hospital” if he considers selling Ibra after only one season of club service.
- Samuel Eto’o has hinted at the possibility of quitting his NT after fellow countryman and revered striker, Milla, criticized his efforts/lack of trophies for Cameroon. Eto’o is also now playing the “we’ll see” guessing game over his club of choice next season.
- Frank Lampard admitted he would consider a move to the MLS once he’s past his EPL prime.
Image via AP Photo/Portuguese Soccer Federation
Oh, the things boys will do in the name of World Cup training. Eg: The Portuguese NT felt it necessary to don camos and face paint and run around paint-balling. Whatevs. That’s their business. Our business: the image is providing us with massive LOLs this dozey holiday Monday.
Shame Ronaldo doesn’t feel the same way. We’re way into his pouty-unimpressed face and he seems to have given himself a little painttache too. Cute. Now we’re going back to the duvet.