August 1st, 2012
Dates For The Diary: New Season, New Excitement
We’re aware there’s a new season. We think you’ll agree that’s fairly impressive by our standards. Images: AFP/Getty Images; Julian Finney/Getty Images.
Mark your day planners, Kickettes: new Ligue 1 season starts 10th August, the EPL & La Liga on 18th August and the Bundesliga & Serie A on the 25th.
As we’re sure you’ll understand, this is a tremendously busy time in the office. But in between our experiments in national flag nail art and undetected desk sleeping (neither have been particularly successful), we’ve compiled a list of things we’re looking forward to across the European leagues.
Read, digest, then add a few of your own, why dontcha?
- Anxious to see if any player is worth their dressed at gunpoint salt in Serie A besides Kevin-Prince Boateng? If a ‘baller that fits this bill does present himself to us, our anxiety will run high if we can’t convince either to settle their style differences in a winner-takes-all mud wrestling bout.
- Planning to focus in earnest on the newly assembled parts of Arsenal’s team, with a nice dose of Aaron Ramsey for extra Photo Friday joy when need be. “All Aaron, All Day” has a nice ring to it. Incidentally, when we say “newly assembled parts” we’re totally thinking about Olivier Giroud’s baguette magique.
- Curious if anyone plans on giving the cameramen of La Liga a year’s supply of cookies in exchange for long shots of players in their skanties all season long? It’s a matter of national urgency, Kickettes.
- Taking bets on how long until Zlatan Ibrahimovic unleashes his inaugural Ligue 1 Bitchface. The good money is within the first ten minutes of PSG’s fixture vs. Lorient, but a couple of our more excitable interns are going for footage of Zlats kicking a team mate in a training session emerging before a whistle has even been blown. Either works.
- Worrying whether the necessary precautions have been taken by Borussia Dortmund’s kit designers to accommodate Mario Götze and his rampant midfield. We so hope not.